My Next Race

My Next Race

Saturday 12 May 2012

Where's Franktown?

I finally decided to run a local race, the Where's Franktown? 5K. To be honest, it was nice not to have to fly or drive for hours to get to a race!

My running buddy, Frogger, is heavily involved with organizing this event and the race doubles as a fundraiser for a local school (Calvary Christian Academy). Admittedly, it was more the handmade medals than anything else that convinced me to sign up. 

The whole Where's Franktown? event is awesome. There are four races (1K, 5K, 10K, and 15K), so anyone can find a distance that fits their skill level. The race kit pick up on the morning of the race was very well organized - in and out in less than 5 minutes! And, since the event takes place at a school in a rural community, parking was a breeze - and free!

After a short walk to the start line, I watched the 10K runners line up and head out. I was aiming for a quick time, so I lined up towards the front. Stupid move. Five hundred yards into the race I realized I was still recovering from the Orange County Half from 6 days ago.

I'll skip over my ghastly performance, filled with walk breaks, cursing and praying I'd make it to the finish line alive, and just get right to all of the great aspects of the day:
  1. Free parking
  2. Washroom facilities (that weren't port-a-potties)
  3. Easy race kit pick up
  4. A well-marked, flat course
  5. Watching tons of children getting active and having fun with their friends
  6. Multiple water stations!!! (seeing as how it was 24 degrees when we set off, this was a godsend)
  7. A huge handmade start/finish banner hanging across the roadway (I love small towns!)
  8. Handmade finishers' medals made by the children of Calvary Christian Academy in Franktown for all participants. 
  9. A massive BBQ complete with home-made baked goodies for dessert (too bad I didn't get to stay!)
  10. The fantastic volunteers who made this event a great success.
  11. Being part of an awesome community event, raising money for a local school.

How awesome are these?! The amount of work that went into making each one is amazing.

Despite my shitty finish time and the reappearance of old injuries, I had an awesome time. The crowd support at the finish line was much appreciated. Kudos to all the many volunteers who made today's event great!

One more super-special medal to add to the race shrine!

No comments:

Post a Comment