My Next Race

My Next Race

Sunday 23 September 2012

War of 1812 Bicentennial Race

I committed the ultimate sin for someone who loves the military: I didn't run the Army Run.  I was originally signed up to run the 5K, but admittedly, I found a race with a medal I liked more. A lot more.

Enter the Run for Heroes - War of 1812 Bicentennial Race.

With this year's hype surrounding the commemoration of the War, I thought it would be a fitting race to do. And, how often does a bicentennial come around?! Off I flew to Toronto, where I rented yet another car and headed down the 401 to Amherstburg, Ontario.

"Where's Amherstburg?" you ask? About 15 miles south of Windsor. Very quaint, very historic and very War of 1812. Major General Isaac Brock took command of the town on August 13, 1812, and three days later captured Fort Detroit - the Battle of Detroit was won! Two months later, General Brock would be killed at Queenston Heights (Niagara).

The online registration process for this race was amusing: the question of whether I was a red coat or a blue coat made me laugh. Fun way to ask for your nationality. 

Race kit pick-up took place over two days; however, no race-day pick-up. As an out-of-towner, that's always a huge letdown because it means I need to book a hotel room and go a day early. Unfortunately, the women's small shirts looked more like men's sizes and there was a misprint. All the 10K shirts were printed with "volunteer" on the back. Lord knows I paid to run this race, so that was also a bit disappointing considering they were really nice shirts!

After the kit pick-up, I headed into downtown Amherstburg for a quick look-see and a stop at the tourist bureau. I made sure to grab a guide book for the town (so much history here!). My first stop brought me to the King's Navy Yard Waterfront Park. The Park is a footprint of the prior Navy Yard dating 1796. The site was responsible for the construction of several provincial warships that fought in the War of 1812. Next, I visited the International Peace Sculpture, a legacy project to commemorate the longest undefended border and lasting peace between the U.S. and Canada. 

International Peace Sculpture

I enjoyed a lovely lunch at the Lord Amherst Public House before retiring to Windsor for the evening. While it wasn't my usual pre-race supper of chowder and wine, I can't say I was far off with beer and cheddar soup and a pint of Innis & Gunn dark ale. 

On the morning of the race, I headed to Tim Horton's for my usual pre-race breakfast and then continued on to Amherstburg. The race website asked 10K runners to "park at the old arena 2km west of the start line"...wherever that was. A map, address or directions would have been really useful. How do I know where the "old arena" is?! Took some googling, but I found what I thought was the right place and drove there. Thankfully, I chose the right place! The bus shuttle worked perfectly and we were off to the start line in no time. 

The race started with the firing of a cannon. Ironically, that's the third race I've run this week that started by way of cannon!

The course was as advertised - flat. Halfway through, I realized I hate flat courses. I enjoy the challenge of an uphill and the reward of all the downhills. Aside from this fact, the course was great!

The route took us along Dalhousie Street where we passed the Amherstburg Legion. I almost cried - there was an honour guard with flags and veterans saluting us and cheering. They looked so proud to be there wearing all their medals! As I ran by, I slowed down to thank them all for their service. And with a "Good luck, dear!" from one of Canada's war heroes, I was back on my way towards Fort Malden. That was the best part of my whole race and it totally made my day! 

As we entered the grounds of the Fort, a solitary British soldier stood atop the grassy walls. His bright red coat stood out smartly against the green grass. I gave an excited wave and was happy when he waved back!

For me, the last 4K were uneventful. I wasn't feeling the greatest and all I could think about was that awesome medal waiting for me at the end! Two ladies were standing in front of the cemetery on Alma Street with a huge bowl of M&Ms. I wish I realized what they had earlier because I would have stopped for a handful!

I crossed the finish line in 56:11 and a big smile on my face. One of the volunteers thanked each and every runner as they walked through the finish corral. The bronze-coloured medal was the icing on the cake!

Such a fantastic way to participate in the War of 1812 commemoration events!


To be honest, I've got to do a little more research of the course before race day. That way, I'll know what it is I'm passing along the way! 

The drive back to Windsor was awesome. I followed the marathon course for 10K  and tooted by horn for almost every runner. The pace groups were the most enthusiastic with their waves. When I'm racing, I know I appreciate all the spectators' cheering!

There were plenty of volunteers, water stations and porta-potties. The post-race food station was well-stocked with water, apples, oranges, yogurt and bagels. The only race day let down? Having to wait 20 minutes for the shuttle to take us back to our cars. It wasn't very warm, so when you're sweaty and tired, it was a bit annoying. All in all, it was a well-organized race that I am glad I ran!

Blingy blingy!

Happy trails, fellow runners!

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! So how many are you up to this year? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get the Union Jack and stars and stripes......but what is the flag of spain doing in the middle?

    ReplyDelete