My Next Race

My Next Race

Tuesday 3 April 2012

Leavin' on a jet plane...

My suitcase is packed, iPad and iPod are charged, and a rockin' playlist, specially formulated for this race, is loaded onto my iPod. I've got my Jerry-File (affectionately named for my Daddy, the most well-prepared person I know!) filled with all of the documentation I will need for the next few days - 4 flight confirmations, car reservation, hotel reservation, race info and maps. My running shoes are washed and lookin' all shiny and new again. In other words, I'm ready to go to Hollywood!

For me, my playlist is the key to a good race. I spend a lot of time choosing songs that fit one of the following criteria: pump me up songs, recovery/slow songs, inspirational songs and songs that remind me of the people who are most important to me. I have them arranged strategically so that I have the high tempo stuff at the beginning to get me pumped up and in the zone, the occasional slow song to remind me to slow down and breath properly, and then the inspirational/reminder songs for when I'm starting to fatigue and wish I had my loved ones with me.

Some people prefer to run headphone-free. I am one of the people who is lost without my music. But, I also like to hear the crowds cheering, so sometimes I take an earbud out and soak up all of their good energy.

I've kicked off the soundtrack for the Hollywood Half Marathon with Proud by Heather Small, the theme song for Biggest Loser. I mean, can you really go wrong with someone singing, "I'm on my way, can't stop me now, and you can do the same!"  Then it switches to some top 40 dance and R&B (Usher, Rihanna, Maroon 5 and David Guetta) with the odd slow jam (sometimes I need the slower beat to help me control my breathing) and country tune (Trace Adkins' Songs About Me - gotta get a good hick tune in there somewhere!)

The most important element to this playlist is the placement of inspirational songs for kilometers 17 through 19. These are during Hollywood's "Heartbreak Hill." Boston has it's Heartbreak, and now, so does Hollywood! Two and a half kilometers entirely uphill from Hollywood Boulevard back up into the Hollywood Hills. (Why did I sign up for this race again?!)

Hollywood's Heartbreak Hill needs some special musical attention. I put three songs at the time when I should be reaching the base of the hill. No Superstar by Remady, The Game of Love by Santana and Michelle Branch and The Weight by The Band. Three songs for two pretty special people in my life: my Daddy and the guy who's been there through all of my ups and downs over the last ten years. Hopefully, they will have the desired effect of propelling my butt up this hill. Who wants to take a walk break midway up a hill anyway?!

Sometime around 8:15am (11:15 EST) I will be crossing the finish line at Universal Studios Hollywood. And shortly after that, I will have that awesome Hollywood star medal hung around my neck! Because we all know why I ran 21.1K - for the race bling, of course!

Happy trails, my fellow runners!

No comments:

Post a Comment